Thursday, March 13, 2008

Just Like my Daddy


This is like my altime favorite story. It's one of my moms old blog posts, but I just wanted to share it with you.
.
My eleven-year-old daughter, Olivia, is crazy about her daddy. She writes notes to him and draws pictures for him. When he is away at work, she cannot wait to see him and when he is home, she is practically in his back pocket, following him around like a sheep follows a shepherd.
.
As Christians, we have a Heavenly Father who we are to look to as Olivia does her dad. What emptiness and lack of fulfillment we experience when we do not seek Him in prayer and in His word, but instead seek satisfaction in the temporal things of this world!
.
As my daughter hangs on every word her daddy speaks, we hang on to the promises of our Faithful Father. His words are life and peace.
.
Olivia knows her dad intimately. I observe her as she studies him at the dinner table and on the basketball court. She copies him in her conversation and as she practices lay-ups.
.
As children of the Most High, let us purpose to know the nature and attributes of our Perfect Father, following the example that He gave us in Christ. We walk in love as He did. We are patient with others as He is with us. We pray for others as Christ intercedes to the Father on our behalf.
.
These things and others cannot be accomplished in our own strength. God the Father has given us the Holy Spirit as a helper. We must be Spirit led in our thoughts, words, and actions if we truly want to follow and be like our Good Shepherd.
.
Yes, Olivia wants to be like her daddy, but as her father is being conformed into the image of Christ, he is pointing her to take part in that same radical transformation.

.

6 comments:

Laurie A. said...

Liv, it was great to get a chance to speak with you this evening. There is something for me in putting a face with a voice. I already knew that I am highly visual but I think I also have a strong connection with sound.

I really enjoyed reading this post and seeing the picture of you and your father together. The words of your mother are wise! You are setting a wonderful example as you honor both your mom and dad through this post!

Wanda said...

This is a wonderful post, and how true your relationship with your earthly father, and our relationship with our Heavenly One.

PTL for godly fathers.

Chris Jones said...

Nice Post and great blog. I found your site through Sonflower's blog and I saw your picture. It's amazing to see girls your age post for the faith. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I can see why it's your favorite, Liv! You've got a great Dad!

P.S. Jacqui's a 'Daddy's Girl' too! :)

TMM said...

As they say, you're the chip off the old block, you're just like your pop...=) And your Pop [with a big P] =)

Blessings

Sid

Lady Grace said...

Aww, liv! I love my Dad too. That was a great post that your mom wrote... my mom sometimes likes to write posts about me and my siblings too. :)
~Grace
P.S. Is that CoFfEe that you're holding in you hand in the pic?!? I love it!!! (With sugar of course) :):)

One of my Favorite Verses

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

1 Timothy 4:11-13