Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ni Hao!

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
KJV

I am guessing you probably don't get the title of this blog post. Am I right? Well here lately I have been learning Chinese, and Ni Hao means Hello. When I told my mom I wanted to learn a new language she asked me what language I was interested in so I told her Chinese.

She replied back, "Are you sure you don't want to try something a little easier like Spanish?"

I said," No I am up for the challenge."

At first my mother and I didn't know how I was going to learn. I sugjested Roseta Stone, but then my mom informed me that it could cost alot of money. So after figuring that out we shoved that thought out of our minds. Next we went to Walmart.com and serched for a Chinese lesson game. Up came on our computer screen a little picture of a Nintendo DS game called My Chinese Coach with a desicription about it. It was only about 30 dollars and looked like a much better deal. I saved up my money and before I new it I was at Walmart purchasing the game! Walmart has lots of other games that are simular to the game I bought. Including My Japanese Coach, My Spanish Coach, My French Coach, etc.


The reason I wanted to learn Chinese is becase someday I want to be a missionary in China (see verse at the beginning of this post). Also I want to meet the little girl we sponsor in China named Lisa. You can read about her here.


I think My Chinese coach is just as good as Roseta Stone just at a better price. It teaches you Chinese using a thing called Pinying. Pinying teaches you to learn Chinese through the latin alphabet. My game also teaches you how to write the characters for each word. Also in chinese there are four tones so things could look the same to us, but they have different meanings.


Now that you know that would you like to learn a few simple words in Chinese? Ok here we go...


Hello: ni hao

Thank you: xie xie ( You say the x like the word she)


How are you?: ni hao ma?


Good/Fine: hao


Goodbye: zai jian


You're welcome: bukeqi

5 comments:

Kaycee Lee said...

That's cool that you're learning a new language.

Anonymous said...

I am the very proud Nana of this brilliant and God loving child. Can you imagine how lucky I am?

Elizabeth J. said...

Hello Olivia! I think it very admirable that you have tackled the challenge of learing Chinese. This fall, I'll be taking my second year of Spanish. Thanks for following my blog-I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

good for you!! i am learning spanish.

love your blog.

emii said...

Hey Olivia,
Awesome! LOL, I think I'm gonna buy the French one, because I'd LOVE to go to France...

Luv,emii

One of my Favorite Verses

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

1 Timothy 4:11-13